F&E - Research Policy & Development
We research, network and advise.
The experts of the ZSI unit Research Policy & Development (F&E) develop and realize projects on the interface between research and application.
The projects in our unit are characterized by innovative topics, methodological diversity and high quality of results.
The projects of F&E are based upon cooperation and networking with international partner organizations in the European Union, enlargement countries and third countries. Many of them are financed by the Framework Programmes of the European Union (FP6, FP7, Horizon 2020).
Key aspects of our activities are:
- Coordination and realization of European initiatives in research and technology policy in the region of South East Europe (SEE) especially in the so-called Western Balkan region (reference projects: South-East European ERA-NET (PLUS), WBC-INCO.NET, Information Office of the Steering Platform of Research for Western Balkan Countries, Danube-INCO.NET)
- Networking and dissemination of information to researchers and research policy makers in different regions (such as Latin America, Russia and Central Asia, South East Europe, Danube Region, South East Asia, Africa, Canada) with researchers in the European Union (reference projects: ALCUENET, BILAT Russia, BILAT Ukraine, BILAT Mexico, SEA-EU-NET, CAAST-NET PLUS, ERA-CAN+, INDIGO-Policy, INNO INDIGO etc.)
- Coordination and participation in initiatives of the European Union in the region of SEE/Western Balkan with the focus on Information and Communication Technologies (reference projects: WINS-ICT, SCORE, IS2WEB, SEE-INNOVATION)
- Coordination and implementation of Austrian initiatives in research and technology policy (reference projects: Austrian "Forschungsdialog", era.gv.at/)
- Policy consulting in the area of Science-Technology-Innovation and Internationalization of R&D (reference projects: consulting for several Austrian ministries, World Bank, European Union, and other international organizations)
- Evaluation and accompanying monitoring of projects and programmes for cooperation in research and education (reference projects: CEEPUS - Central European Exchange Program for University Studies, ADA - Austrian Development Agency, Programme Monitoring of CIR-CE, Evaluation of the US-Russian Basic Research and Higher Education Programme, Reform of Higher Education, Research and Innovation in Kosovo/UN Resolution 1244, etc.)
- Analysis of Innovation systems and knowledge-based societies (EULAKS, EIS - European Innovation Scoreboard)
F&E is expanding its focus in regard to
- Research in the field of technoglobalisation, analysis of conditions, potentials and barriers to international research cooperation
- Transfer of know-how gained from the geographical region of South East Europe to other regions (Latin America, South East Asia, Russia and Central Asia, etc.)
- Co-Publication-studies: Conducting of bibliometric analysis of international academic and scientific publications, in order to better understand the increasing internationalisation trends in science, technology and innovation. Further, the ZSI delivers interactive visualizations, based on the retrieved bibliometric data.
- Foresight: Studies on possible developments in the future, which can be both used as networking- or policymaking tools. Assumptions on possible scenarios in science, technology and innovation, which are based on Foresight studies, allow to make better decisions already today.
- further competencies and activities of the F&E department you find here.